The New York Council on Problem Gambling (NYCPG) is developing 3 Youth Advisory Committees for the following age groups: 12-14. 15-17, and 18-24. We are looking to have 11-12 youth on each of these committees. The goal of the committees is to hear directly from youth about the best way to inspire and empower other youth to take action to prevent youth gambling.
My name is Stelianos Canallatos. As the Prevention Specialist for the NY Council on Problem Gambling, I will be facilitating these committees. Below are two videos introducing myself and the project. I look forward to working with you!
All meetings will be held virtually via Zoom and facilitated by Stelianos Canallatos. These meetings will be recorded for program planning purposes and quality assurance. All recordings will be held in strict confidentiality and only used internally for program development.
Each meeting will focus on a specific topic. For instance, there will be an introductory meeting, a meeting focused on connecting our message with their interests, and another will focus on what youth-influencing adults would be best to connect with to work with youth across NYS.
Youth who participate will have their time compensated in the amount of $50.00 for each meeting they prepare for and attend. For youth who participate in all meetings, the total amount to be paid will be, but not exceed, $600.00.
Meeting times for the 12-14 age committee are 4:30pm, the 15-17 committee is 6pm, and the 18-24 committee is 7:30pm. The dates for these meetings are:
- Thursday April 6, 2023
- Thursday April 20, 2023
- Thursday May 4, 2023
- Thursday May 18, 2023
- Thursday June 1, 2023
- Thursday June 15, 2023
- Thursday June 29, 2023
- Thursday July 13, 2023
- Thursday July 27, 2023
- Thursday August 10, 2023
- Thursday September 21, 2023
- Thursday October 19, 2023
- Youth located in NYS.
- Youth who are between the ages of 12 and 24.
- Youth who are, or want to be, a leader among their peers.
- Youth who want to have a positive influence in their local school, their community and NYS.
To participate in this project, youth must:
- Participate in at least 10 of the 12 scheduled meetings.
- Review any materials distributed by the NYCPG to prepare for their next meeting.
- Sign our memorandum of understanding stating they acknowledge the project responsibilities to participate.
- Have a parent or guardian sign the subcontract, who will support youth with this project. This support includes helping them review materials, being on time to meetings, etc.
PROJECT APPLICATION PROCESS
To apply to participate in this Youth Advisory Committee, youth need to complete the application, which can be found HERE or the button, below. Applications will be accepted on a first come first served basis for each required demographic.
The next steps of the application process include:
- Application review.
- Contact parent and youth with any additional questions.
- If approved, sign a subcontract.